Fifty surpassed

Its been an intense few weeks with the odd victory covering masses of defeats. One big issue is that most of the literature is actually impenetrable to a beginner and often runs along the , 'and from here you can see how Black has an insurmountable position' where I cant see anything of the sort and if I had an identical board position to black would promptly be ripped apart in a sea of 'bad play'.

My biggest weakness (amongst a huge supporting choir of weaknesses) was not being able to kill of invasions and fight properly. Whereas a lot of the books/youtube stuff has much less on those very subjects because that tactic is dangerous against people who know what they are doing. Therefore the people who know what they are doing don't talk much about it because it is much like walking.

What seemed to help me was playing a lot of mainly 9x9 and then returning to my Janice Kim books and re-reading the fighting bits of book 1 and 2. Each time I returned I understood more about the implications and the lessons stuck a little more. This improved my board positioning and thus ability to actually fight./ After about thirty games I started to notice a tiny degree of, 'that move I just made was wrong for reason A and B and though I was saved from my own incompetence several times due to equal newbieness on the other side that felt like an improvement.

Finally on some losses I worked through in review on some of the invasions to try and work out where I had gone wrong and in some cases actually think I could see the correct move.

SO in this brief update where am I? My Rating dropped fairly rapidly 40 high 800s-low 900's and after 62 games is back up to 965.56 (85.47) which is my 3rd highest result so not including the initial over rate placement I must have shown signs of some improvement. It wont last though as I also suspect certain days have weaker opponents.

My next steps are to carry on re-reading the fighting sections and try to move into 19*19 which will no doubt cause another drastic loss in rating.

Comments

Popular Posts